Are You Better Off?
When assessing a new client system, one common complaint I hear (sadly) is that the current management meetings and retreats aren't always a good use of time. Yet the opportunity, and opportunity costs, of leadership meetings is enormous! View these meetings from a process standpoint, not just content, and answer this question:
How are you better off for having spent time together as a group?
Here are a few useful outcomes:
- Expanded awareness/context for my own decision making
- Clarity about different perspectives represented in the group
- Greater respect for a colleague
- Increased social capital
If you can't easily answer this question -
- Did you have a clear agenda that required being face to face?
- Did you have the right people in the room?
- Do you encourage and reward serious dialogue?